Prof. Avani Dedhia interned at various construction sites, worked at structural consultancy firms, before joining the academic field. She has carried out research in the field of construction materials, and has designed and constructed a first of its kind ‘Radial Permeameter’ to measure the actual Radial Permeability of Soil Strata in the laboratory or as well as on the field. Her areas of specialization as well as interest are Mechanics of Solids, Building Construction, Concrete Technology, Geology, Structural Analysis and Design, Highway Engineering, Environmental Engineering, Construction Management and Design Thinking Methodology for Human Centric Design.
She has guided students through various co-curricular activities namely AICTE driven HACKATHON 2017 and Technical Events held during Institute TechFest. She has organized workshops and various expert talks by Industrial and Company Experts for students’ development and co-organized extracurricular activities like cultural festivals.
She had been a Junior Designer at KAN Structural Innovations, Ahmedabad that specialized in Pre-Stressing, Post-Tensioning. She interned at Road & Buildings Department, Govt. of Gujarat, Gandhinagar and Satish Dhupelia Consultancy Firm, Mumbai. She took Site execution and supervision experience at Swami Samarth Constructions, Managalam Developers and Shailesh Enterprise, Mumbai. She headed the Technical Committee for ‘Tremor Terror’ – testing of Earthquake Resistant Structures at L.D. College of Engineering. She vvolunteered for the management Struct-O-Quiz, 2011, organized by IAS StructE, Gujarat Chapter in LDCE and anchored at the International Conference of “fib-days2011”, collaboration for civil engineers from all over the globe.
Master of Technology in Structural Engineering Design, Civil Engineering, CEPT University, 2015.
Thesis: Evaluating The Efficacy Of Burnt Clay Bricks Made Using Foundry Sand And Textile Sludge As Raw Ingredients
Bachelor of Engineering in Civil Engineering, L.D. College of Engineering, Ahmedabad, India, 2013.
Awards / Achievements
- Awarded the Best Guide for final year student’s project, April 2017.
- Won the 2nd Prize in ‘Concreta’ held by OrCES at Nirma University.
- Won the 3rd Prize at ‘Structo Event’, held at L.D.C.E.
- Won the 2nd Prize in the event ‘Tremor Terror V’, held at L.D.C.E.
- Won the 2nd Prize in the ‘Bismark’ event, held at I.I.T., Gandhinagar.
- Avani Dedhia, Prof. Poonam Modi, ‘Evaluating The Efficacy Of Burnt Clay Bricks Prepared Using Industrial Wastes Like Foundry Sand And Textile Sludge’ International Journal of Modern Trends in Engineering And Science (IJMTER), organized by ICRTET- 2016.
- Attended and Anchored at the International Conference of ‘fib-days2011’, collaboration for civil engineers, researchers and practitioners from all over the globe.
Technical Software Skills
Structure Design Softwares: STAAD, ETABS, SAP2000, Planwin, Framewin.
Drafting Software: AutoCAD.
Professional Work Experience
- Assistant Professor, Civil Engineering Department, Saffrony Institute of Technology, S. P. B. Patel Engineering College, Mehsana, July 2016 to present.
- Junior Design Engineer – KAN Structural Innovations, Ahmedabad, India, September 2015 – July 2016.
Workshops / STTPs / FDPs / Training Programs
- Conducted a one day Workshop on ‘STAAD-Software for Design’, February, 2017.
- Organized a three day Training program on ‘Tall Building Design’ by Civil Simplified, SkyFi Labs, January 2017.
- Delivered an awareness talk about World’s Biggest Hackathon organized by AICTE and Railway Innovation Challenge by Indian Railways, December 2017.
- Attended ‘Ideas to Product’ workshop series by Dr. Anil Gupta, December and January, organized by GTU, 2017.
- Attended ITP on ‘Active, Effective and Interactive Teaching’, Mr. D. H. Ahir and Ms. Naina, February, organized by GTU, February 2017.
- Actively participated in a two day Hands-On 26th Patent Clinic Workshop delivered by Dr. Manish Rachchh, Mr. Amit Patel and Mr. Anil, organized by GTU, October 2017.
- Attended 39th Design Engineering FDP by Prof. Karmjitsinh Bihola, organized by GTU, September 2017.
Seminars / Expert Talks
- Organized Expert talk on ‘Pre-Stressing’ by Mr. Kaushik Koradia, Chief Designer, KAN Structural Innovations, February, 2017.
- Organized Expert talk on ‘Water Engineering’, February, 2017.
Key Projects of Students
Design of a Gabion Wall using Gawek Win Software, April, 2017.